NEPTUNE WATER METER
Learn about its features and how to ready your meter
Your Neptune meter is a radio frequency unit that collects meter-usage data and transmits the data for collection. This data is transmitted to a mobile handheld device used by our meter reads.
Recessed small hole (next to flashlight icon). Supplies the power for the LCD panel (light activated).
- Using an ordinary flashlight, shine the light over the "light sensor” hole on the face of the meter for a few seconds.
- Once activated, the LCD display will alternate every six seconds from displaying the current meter reading to the current rate of flow.
- Nine-digit LCD displays the meter reading in billing units of gallons.
- Displays the flow indicator
- Displays the leak indicator
Shows the direction of flow through the meter.
(—) Reverse flow
(+) Forward flow
ON Water in use
OFF Water not in use
FLASHING Water is running slowly/low flow
OFF No leak indicated.
Flashing - Intermittent leak
Indicates that water has been used for at least 50 of the 96 15-minute intervals during a 24-hour period.
Indicates water use for all 96 15-minute intervals during a 24-hour period.
What to do if there is a leak?
If a leak is detected, check the following to identify the leak source:
The majority of leaks occur in the bathroom and the main culprit is the toilet.
Follow these simple steps to check your toilet for leaks:
- Remove the toilet tank lid
- Add a few drops of food colouring into the tank
- Wait 15 minutes
- If the water in the bowl has changed colour, then you have a leak
The most common cause for a leaking toilet is a worn out flapper valve. This is an easy and inexpensive fix. If you have difficulty changing your flapper, we suggest you contact a licensed plumber.
IF A CONTINUOUS LEAK IS REPAIRED
If a continuous leak is found and repaired, complete the following steps.
- Do not use any water for at least 15 minutes.
- Check the leak icon
If the leak indicator changes from continuous ON to flashing, then a continuous leak is no longer indicated.
IF A INTERMITTENT LEAK IS REPAIRED
If an intermittent leak is found, check the leak icon after at least 24 hours. If the leak has been correctly repaired, the leak icon changes from flashing to OFF.
| Leak Size - equivalent to opening of:
|| 1/16 inch
|| 1/8 inch
|| 1/4 inch
| Litre per hour
**note 1 cubic meter = 1000 litres=220.1 gallons
Data logging allows the municipality to retrieve 90 days of hourly or daily reading consumption data. The data log can be analyzed using a graph or viewing a report. The data can be shared with the homeowner which may help to identify existing or potential problems such as a possible leak and when the leak occurred. Data Logging is done at the request of the homeowner.
Get a handle on leaks!
The water meter is your leak detector. Check for leaks regularly to help save water.